What type of gear do you use? And does it matter?
One of the reasons that I am drawn to running is that it is supposed to be easy. I mean in theory all you need is a pair of shorts and some running shoes and you are good to go. In fact, you don’t even need those.
But, of course I can’t leave things at that. I have that ingrain need to complicate things. So, somewhere over the years my choice of running gear has grown.
What does a typical run day look like? Well, if it is a long run, meaning anything over 3 hrs, then these are the items I will be gearing up in.
- Shoes – It is possible to run in pretty much any shoe. But, if you want to walk later I recommend trying a specific shoe. Mine : Nike Zoom Kiger 3
- Socks – These might be the single most important piece of gear. A good pair of socks can make your day. Mine : Wright Socks
- Shorts – I actually don’t get too fancy here. I am not a big fan of the high cut runners short. Mine : Nike Running Short
- Underwear – I rank these right up there with socks. Chafing sucks. Mine : Saxx Quest 2.0
- Shirt – Like my shorts, I am not that particular. Mine : Any one of the 50 race shirts I have.
- Hat – This is something I didn’t give a lot of thought to until I found my go to. If you sweat a lot, grab yourself one of these. You will thank me. Mine: Nike Dri-fit
- Sunglasses – Not always a necessity, but depending on where you run they may be. I wear mine 90% of the time. Mine: Oakley Radarlock
- Hydration pack – If I am going out for 3 hrs, I will need more water then I can carry in a hand held. Mine : Salomon S-LAB ADV SKIN 5SET
- Handheld – For the days I don’t use a hydration pack. Mine : Ultimate Direction Handy 20
- GPS Watch – I trail run a lot, and not always on the beaten track. My GPS watch has saved my ass enough times it has become a necessity. Mine: Suunto Ambit 2
- Identification – Most runners don’t even think about taking ID with them, crazy because if something happens you may not be in condition to tell first responders what they need. Mine : RoadID
- Tunes and earbuds – These are last on the list, because they are not always with me. But, I normally carry my phone. If I do choose some type of audio it is usually an audio book or podcast. Mine: Audible, Stitcher & Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones.
- Bonus. Energy Gel – I know these are not for everyone, but they have there place. For me, I actually have two I go to: Mine : GU Gels or Baby Food.
Call for Comments
So, that is my go to gear. How about you, anything you use that you would be willing to share?
*disclaimer – Most of the links above are Amazon affiliate links. If you decide to purchase, I will get a few cents to help maintain this site. 🙂